Cold cucumber soup for hot days
On a hot day there is nothing more refreshing than a nice cold cucumber soup. It is prepared in no time at all, inexpensive and does not stress your stomach. With our recipe for cold cucumber soup you can quickly make a light, yet tasty meal.
Traditional recipe for hot days
Cold cucumber soup has a long tradition and is common in countries with hot weather. It is eaten as a main course with prawns or fish or as a side dish or starter. I personally eat cold cucumber soup several times a day on particularly hot days, simply like that. Together with a nice crispy baguette and many herbs it becomes a delicacy that doesn’t have to hide behind other dishes!
Which cucumbers can I use?
Traditionally, cold cucumber soup is made from green cucumbers. These are long, dark green and quite large. In other countries green cucumbers can be small and round or even spherical. The taste is the same all over. When buying cucumbers, pay attention to a saturated, healthy color of the cucumber skin and also check the tips. Cucumbers that are already mushy have been stored for too long and are no longer fresh.
Spices and herbs for our cold cucumber soup
In general, you can add anything from your herb garden that you like and enjoy. However, green cucumber harmonizes particularly well with the following herbs:
- Mint (fresh)
- Coriander (leaves, fresh)
The preparation of the cucumber soup is very easy and takes only a few minutes.
For a particularly fine consistency, you can either use a hand blender or a blender or simply grate the cucumber with a cheese grater for a slightly thicker version. Use the largest hole size on a square grater. We wish you good luck with our recipe for cold cucumber soup and look forward to your feedback on how you liked it.
Cold cucumber soup – ideal for a hot Summer
German cold cucumber soup is a refreshing treat on hot days as well as a low carb alternative.
- 2 cucumbers
- 800 g yoghurt
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Wash the cucumbers and peel as needed. You can also leave the cucumber peel on, without peel the cucumber soup becomes lighter and smoother.
- Grate the garlic well and mix well with the yogurt, the herbs, the lemon juice and the remaining spices.
- Add the cucumber to the yogurt mixture and blend everything gently with a blender. Alternatively, you can simply add the grated cucumber to the yogurt mixture and you’re done.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.