In Germany, every grandma or grandpa swears by their own recipe for German potato salad! Mine for a vegetarian potato salad is so delicious that nothing is ever left over. The garden herbs give a wonderful aroma that becomes a symphony in the mouth along with the savoury marinade.
The salad is a great side dish for the barbecue, but also for New Year’s Eve or at your party.
Marinated German potato salad with garden herbs
- Big bowl
- Big cooking pot
- big spoons
- 2 lbs. waxy potatoes (1000 g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard medium hot or mild
- 1 white onion medium sized
- 1 pinch white sugar
For the marinade
- 1 hand full kitchen herbs of your choice
- 2 cups mayonnaise (500 ml)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup water
- Boil the potatoes with the skin. Drain the water and rinse the potatoes with cold water and peel them. Let them cool down and cut them into slices or small pieces.
- Peel the onion and cut it into fine pieces. In a little pot with ¾ cups of water, mix together mustard, salt, pepper, vinegar, the onion and sugar. Mix everything well so that the ingredients dissolve. Heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Then pour the hot broth over the potatoes and let them soak for a minimum of two hours. The best result you get overnight.
- Now wash the kitchen herbs, pat dry and chop finely. I use these kitchen herbs: lemon balm, nasturtium, chives, borage, parsley, dill, basil. But it is up to you, which ones you use or have on hand.
- For the sauce, mix salt, pepper and vinegar and stir in the mayonnaise until creamy. Add some mineral water if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Everything should taste very savory, as the taste will lower a bit over time.
- Now drain any left over broth from the potatoes. Carefully mix the marinated potatoes with the finished salad dressing. Let it stand for at least another two hours.