Traditional apple pie is an all-time favorite and the taste of my childhood. A high quality dough and fresh apples give this apple pie an incomparable taste. You can go wrong with this easily and quickly prepared apple cake recipe. Grandma’s apple cake is the best!
To achieve a perfect result it is crucial stick to the amount of ingredients for the apple cake dough. While cooking allows improvisation and variation, baking requires an exact balance of the ingredients. This is the best way to make your apple pie juicy and irresistible.
Which apple is best for a juicy apple pie?
Grandma’s style apple pie is best made with sour apples, freshly harvested in your region. I prefer Boskop apples, but you can also try the following varieties:
– Idared: sweet, can be stored for a long time
– Elstar: very aromatic, slightly acidic
– Boskop: fruity and very aromatic
– Jonagold: sweet and at the same time slightly sour, very pretty apple with red color, the best choice if you want the cake to look nice and special.
How many apples you use is up to you.
Apple pie in the springform pan, right?
You can bake the apple pie in any cake tin imaginable. Traditionally, however, it is baked in an apple pie springform pan. You can also get your apple pie out of the oven quickly and onto the table on a baking tray. The apple pie sponge cake adapts to your springform pan. Try a fancy form, like a heart.
Juicy apple pie: Variations
This basic recipe contains cinnamon, but with a few simple changes you can quickly vary this apple pie and add other notes to the taste. If you don’t like cinnamon, just leave it out. Here are a few suggestions:
– Fresh mint: Mix some brown sugar with chopped mint and sprinkle over the cake after baking.
– Sweet vanilla: Vanilla brings out the sweetness of the apples.
– Spicy nutmeg: Grate a small hint of nutmeg over the sliced apples before layering. This combination may seem unconventional, but it works!
– Caramelized almonds: Caramelized almonds are a wonderful topping.
– Christmas mood: fried in butter with sugar and cinnamon: This tickles a christmassy taste out of the apples.
For a special crunch, sprinkle a little brown sugar over the cake before baking. It will caramelize during baking and create a wonderfully delicate crust.
Apple pie recipe made easy
Here are our tips at a glance:
- use sour apple varieties, e.g. Boskop, Jonagold or Elstar.
- use a round springform pan or a tin.
- if you loosen the core from the blossom down to the stem, the apple pieces won’t break.
- Place the chopped apple pieces in water or sprinkle them with lemon juice so they keep their color.
- juicy apple pie can also be baked in a heat-resistant glass – a wonderful gift!