This delicious Chicken Casserole is a perfect choice for an Autumn meal. It’s a wonderful combination of the beautiful aroma, the delicious sauce, and the succulent, fall-off-the-bone chicken. But it’s easier to simply say that this is a family favorite for the past 20+ years.
Give it a go – this amazing chicken casserole with mushrooms and red wine wont disappoint you.
Tips for a perfect chicken casserole
- Buy high-quality chicken thighs. You can also use drumsticks.
- Choose a flavorful mushroom type, as brown mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms.
- For a creamier result, use a combination of chicken broth and heavy cream to create.
- Allow the casserole to simmer on low heat(!)to perfectly thicken the sauce.
- Top the casserole with breadcrumbs or grated cheese before baking the second time to create a crispy and golden crust.
Make it a leaner meal
If you want to reduce calories or fat, here’s what you can do:
- Use chicken breast, instead of chicken thighs. However, the sauce will need to be thickened more since the natural thickening effect of the chicken bones is missing.
- Remove the skin from the chicken.
- Use starch, such as potato starch or cornstarch, instead of flour to thicken.
- You can substitute balsamic vinegar or a little red grape juice for the red wine. Then omit the additional sugar, as these things already bring a natural sweetness.
Like chicken? Also try our
Hearty Chicken Casserole
- 2 lbs chicken thighs skin on
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ lb brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cups chicken stock
- ½ cups red wine
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 12 shallots peeled
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C ).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and fry the chicken skin-side down. Place it skin-side up in an ovenproof baking dish.
- Add salt and smoked paprika to the chicken. Cover and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken is in the making, prepare the sauce in another pot:Add some oil, or butter and fry the onion. Saute until soft. Add diced bell peppers, mushrooms and stir fry until soft. Now add the tomato puree and fry for 1 more minute.Now stir in the flour, then add the red wine, the chicken stock, sugar, and salt to taste. Add the Worcestershire sauce and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Once the chicken is cooked, take it out of the oven, leaving the heat on. Remove any excess fat from the baking pan. Now pour the sauce over the chicken evenly and cover with the shallots.
- Cover again and bake for an additional 40 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and serve immediately.
Copyright © by Susanne Queck und Wunderlander Verlag LLC. Original on easygermanfood.com. Unauthorized republication of all or part of the text is prohibited.Image credit: Unless otherwise noted: ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com.