In Germany, every grandma or grandpa swears by their own recipe for German potato salad! Mine for a vegetarian potato salad is so delicious that nothing is ever left over. The garden herbs give a wonderful aroma that becomes a symphony in the mouth along with the savoury marinade.
This potato salad recipe is vegetarian and vegan friendly. It is a great side dish for the barbecue, but also for New Year’s Eve or at your party.
Toppings for your German potato salad
You can easily spice up your salad by adding something else, quarters of boiled eggs, fresh spring onion, peas, cooked carrots or feta cheese cubes.
For the best taste, it is very important to marinate the potatoes when they are still hot. This is the secret of the good potato salad.
If you want to try something different, go ahead and try making loaded twice baked potatoes.
It is important to keep leftovers in the refrigerator. This way it will keep fresh up to 4 days. Since potato salad quickly takes on odors in the refrigerator, it should definitely be kept sealed in a bag or box.
Potato salad is only suitable for freezing to a limited extent. When thawed, it loses consistency and becomes mushy, but the taste remains the same.
Also try our recipe for Grandma`s quick & tasty apple cake.
Marinated German potato salad with garden herbs
- Big bowl
- Big cooking pot
- big spoons
- 2 lbs. waxy potatoes (1000 g)
- 1 hand full kitchen herbs of your choice
For the marinade:
- 4.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 0.5 tsp cumin seeds whole
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard medium hot or mild
- 1 white onion medium sized
- 1 pinch white sugar
- 3 pieces pickled cucumbers
- Boil the potatoes with the skin in a lot of water, to which the cumin has been added, in about 20 minutes. If you don’t like cumin, you can leave it out.
- In the meantime, prepare the marinade: cut the onion into very small pieces and heat the broth in a pan or small pot. Add the raw onion, as well as the mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar. Mix everything well so that the ingredients dissolve.
- Take 2 tablespoons of cucumber water from the cucumber jar and add this too. Season the broth well. Let everything boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When the potatoes are done (pierce the center of the largest ones with a small knife to check) drain the water and peel the potatoes. Note: If you use a fork, prick the hot potatoes with it and hold them, you can peel them perfectly all around. Or use a clean kitchen towel.
- Cut them into thin slices or cubes and pour the hot broth over the potatoes while they are still warm. Mix them carefully with two spoons and now leave the potato salad covered at room temperature for at least two hours.It tastes best if the salad is allowed to marinate overnight.
- The potatoes should have absorbed the marinade almost completely. If not, pour off the rest. The salad should be moist, however.
- Before serving, wash the kitchen herbs (for example, parsley, chives, oregano, dill or basil), pat dry, chop finely and mix with the salad. Now also cut the pickeled gherkins into thin slices and add them, pour the oil in the salad and mix well.
All content 100% human written!Copyright © by Susanne Queck und Wunderlander Verlag LLC. Original on easygermanfood.com. Unauthorized republication of all or part of the text is prohibited.Image credit: Unless otherwise noted: ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com.