Tired of the same old boring breakfast routine? Want to spice up your morning AND give your body a little healthy boost? Just take a closer look at Bircher Muesli!
Bircher Muesli makes a great start to the day. This overnight recipe is suitable for apple lovers. It can also be made all year. You only need to add oats and nuts, milk, and an apple. You can create your own variations by adding fruits, seeds, or nuts. Check out our recipe for Bircher oatmeal.
The history of famous Bircher Muesli
Thanks to the Swiss doctor Maximilian Bircher-Benner, we have this wonderful muesli variety. He was first served muesli in an alpine hut and then developed it further into a dietary dish for his patients.
Benefits of cereals in the morning
First, let’s talk about what muesli is. It’s a type of cereal that typically contains a mix of oats, nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. Bircher Muesli (originally Bircher Müsli) is a healthy variation that features grated apples and is often soaked overnight in milk or yogurt.
Now for the good stuff: the health benefits. Cereal is a great source of fiber, which keeps you feeling satisfied and full throughout the morning and half od the day.
It’s also packed with vitamins and minerals from the various ingredients, such as vitamin E from the nuts and seeds as well as potassium from the dried berries.
But the true star of any real Bircher Muesli is fresh apple. Rich in antioxidants, apples have been linked to a lower risk of heart disease. Plus, the soaking process helps release the apple’s nutrients, making them even easier for your body to absorb.
So not only are you starting your day on a deliciously sweet and crunchy note, you’re also giving your body a much-needed boost of nutrients.
Soaked cereals are to be consumed immediately. But you can premix all the dry ingredients and store them in a dry place, away from sunlight in a jar or a box.
Also try the other breakfast options, like Amazing Pancakes.
Original Swiss Bircher Muesli, overnight oats
- ¾ cups oats
- ½ cups apple juice optional
- 1 apple
- 2 tbsps dried raisins or cranberries
- 2 cups milk
- ½ lemon
- 1 oz almonds chopped
- hazelnuts chopped
- Honey or Agave Nectar to taste
- To soak the oats, place them in a bigger bowl and pour apple juice (optional) and milk onto. If you prefer your dried fruits soft, also put them into the bowl. Wrap the bowl in cling wrap, and place it in the refrigerator overnight.The cling wrap keeps the oatmeal from taking on the aroma of other foods in the refrigerator.
- The next day, core the apple just before you serve it. Then, coarsely grate it. Combine the apple, dried cranberries or raisins (if not put in last night already) and, optionally, add more milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Serve in small bowls, topped with the chopped nuts, and drizzled with honey.
All content 100% human written!Copyright © by Susanne Queck und Wunderlander Verlag LLC. Original on easygermanfood.com. Unauthorized republication of all or part of the text is prohibited.Image credit: Unless otherwise noted: ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com.