Spinach spaetzle are a great variation on the traditional German spaetzle, eaten as a side dish or main course. You can easily make them yourself. They are a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional German spaetzle noodles.
What kind of spinach?
These delicious spinach spaetzle are best made with fresh spinach, but you can also use chopped frozen spinach. For fresh spinach, chop the leaves thoroughly. You can use a food processor or chop with a knife.
It is best to use baby spinach, which is not as bitter as older leaves.
Thaw frozen spinach first. Ready-made cream spinach is also good, but reduce the amount of milk.
Sauce for Spinach Spaetzle
You can use your great homemade German spinach dumplings just like regular spaetzle. Serve them as a side dish, make cheese spaetzle, or make a great spaetzle stir-fry with vegetables and bacon.
They also taste great with cheese sauce, tomato sauce or even gravy. If you want to make a full meal out of them, serve them with air fryer stuffed peppers, for example.
German Spinach Dumplings (Spinatspaetzle)
- Big cooking pot
- 500 g plain flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 ml milk
- 300 g baby spinach
- 100 g butter optional
- Beat the eggs in a bowl. Then add the sifted flour, salt and enough milk to make the batter a little liquid. Mix for about 5 minutes. Let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put plenty of water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Wash and dry the fresh spinach. Puree it in a blender or food processor. Alternatively, chop very finely with a knife. Add the spinach to the batter and mix well.
- Turn down the heat on the stove. Place the spaetzle dough on a spaetzle board and scrape long pieces into the boiling water with a scraper. You can also use a potato press.
- Cook for about 1 minute. As soon as they float to the surface, remove them with a ladle.
- Add a little butter and serve or use them for another dish.
All content 100% human written!Copyright © by Susanne Queck und Wunderlander Verlag LLC. Original on easygermanfood.com. Unauthorized republication of all or part of the text is prohibited.Image credit: Unless otherwise noted: ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com.